• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal action to pursue non-paying customers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikemincer

I am the manager at a small auto repair shop in Washington. I need to know what is our best course of action in pursuing customers who have not paid their invoices. I don't know if we should be looking into collection agencies, mechanic's liens, or what... Any advice on a good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Our company is dying because customers aren't paying.

quincy

I am the manager at a small auto repair shop in Washington. I need to know what is our best course of action in pursuing customers who have not paid their invoices. I don't know if we should be looking into collection agencies, mechanic's liens, or what... Any advice on a good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Our company is dying because customers aren't paying.
Don't release the autos to the owners until what is owed on the repairs is paid, perhaps?

I don't think I have ever not had to pay before the keys to my car were returned to me.

Mikemincer

That would be standard practice for most shops but we mainly deal with fleets where we don't get paid by the vehicle. They pay for everything we've done that month. If we do end up working on a personal car it's usually a friend of the bosses and he'll let them take the car before they've paid. Although that usually isn't a problem. I can't say it never has been but the accounts I'm dealing with right now are fleets whom we no longer work with, some due to their lack of payment and others just because we relocated and aren't close to them anymore and they just won't pay their final bills

quincy

That would be standard practice for most shops but we mainly deal with fleets where we don't get paid by the vehicle. They pay for everything we've done that month. If we do end up working on a personal car it's usually a friend of the bosses and he'll let them take the car before they've paid. Although that usually isn't a problem. I can't say it never has been but the accounts I'm dealing with right now are fleets whom we no longer work with, some due to their lack of payment and others just because we relocated and aren't close to them anymore and they just won't pay their final bills
First, if as you say your business is dying because customers aren't paying, you really need to rethink the way you run your business. The reason it is standard practice for most shops to collect on repairs before releasing the vehicles to the customers is so the shops don't die due to deadbeat customers. ;)

No car should be released until the car repairs are paid, whether the vehicle is a fleet vehicle or not. You could perhaps give the fleets a discount to retain their business, but they should not get their vehicle back without paying first. If any customer wants their vehicle back, they will either come up with the money or, eventually, lose their car.

To collect on the accounts that are currently past due, you could hire a collection agency to handle collections on the past-due accounts (for a fee) or you could sue the account holders for the amounts owing (for probably a lower cost money-wise but more cost time-wise).

I wish you and your car repair shop good luck, Mikemincer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">