• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Municipal contracts with trash haulers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JCP44094

In the State of Ohio; Can a city enter in a contract with a trash hauler that directs bill the homeowner for the services, when the city does not pay anything at all? How can 2 parties (city, trash hauler) force a homeowner to give up property (trash) at given price; when homeowner did not negotiate?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, they can. You can refuse to contract with them and find a way to dispose of your own trash, unless the city passes an ordinance requiring you to enter into a contract. What city is this?

sandyclaus

In the State of Ohio; Can a city enter in a contract with a trash hauler that directs bill the homeowner for the services, when the city does not pay anything at all? How can 2 parties (city, trash hauler) force a homeowner to give up property (trash) at given price; when homeowner did not negotiate?
Sure they can. And you have a choice whether or not to pay for the services. If the company that the city contracts with to provide said services is the only provider, you can choose to either pay and receive the service, or not pay and haul your own trash to the local landfill site yourself. If there are other hauling services available, you can certainly enter into a contract with one of THEM to provide that service instead.

OHRoadwarrior

Sandy, some cities have passed local ordinances requiring residents to establish accounts with trash haulers at a given rate and volume. Though OP is certainly free to get rid of his trash as he sees fit and will likely need an outside contractor or land fill service for high volumes of waste, that will not negate his need to comply with a local ordinance.

Here is an example.

http://www.auroraoh.com/depts/svc/trash/default.aspx

JCP44094

Jcp44094

I cannot opt out; when i tried I recieved this email from the trash hauler "I apologize but the City's residential accounts are never closed due to the contract with City. The balance is always the responsibility of the current homeowner just as the taxes are."

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I cannot opt out; when i tried I recieved this email from the trash hauler "I apologize but the City's residential accounts are never closed due to the contract with City. The balance is always the responsibility of the current homeowner just as the taxes are."
I suggest if you want an explanation why, you call the City Services Director.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">