• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My business is being sued by a canadian company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuperRed

I have a business in California and we are being sued by a Canadian company.
The short version is, we signed a contract with them and they did not hold-up their end of the bargain so we stopped paying them- this is an indisputable fact. We don't know Canadian law and really are not so worried about winning/losing.
What we want to know is if we end up getting screwed by screwed by some Canadian contract law that we have no knowledge of and lose the case, will our business's credit rating be effected over here?
We found out that in Canada they don't have LLCs so we are considered an entity (like a corporation im guessing?) can this place go after the owners personally?
I know many people here are probably not experts in Canadian law but we are a US company, has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this?
Like i said winning or losing the case is not my issue here so much as the credit rating if we lose.

Mass_Shyster

I have a business in California and we are being sued by a Canadian company.
The short version is, we signed a contract with them and they did not hold-up their end of the bargain so we stopped paying them- this is an indisputable fact. We don't know Canadian law and really are not so worried about winning/losing.
What we want to know is if we end up getting screwed by screwed by some Canadian contract law that we have no knowledge of and lose the case, will our business's credit rating be effected over here?
We found out that in Canada they don't have LLCs so we are considered an entity (like a corporation im guessing?) can this place go after the owners personally?
I know many people here are probably not experts in Canadian law but we are a US company, has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this?
Like i said winning or losing the case is not my issue here so much as the credit rating if we lose.
It looks like you may have to worry about losing. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement_of_foreign_judgments

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would be well-advised to retain the services of a Canadian attorney (or whatever they call their attorneys)

sandyclaus

You would be well-advised to retain the services of a Canadian attorney (or whatever they call their attorneys)
In Canada, the word "lawyer" only refers to individuals who have been called to the bar or have qualified as civil law notaries in the province of Quebec. Common law lawyers in Canada may also be known as "barristers and solicitors", but should not be referred to as "attorneys", since that term has a different meaning in Canadian usage. However, in Quebec, civil law advocates (or avocats in French) often call themselves "attorney" and sometimes "barrister and solicitor".

SuperRed

That is all great but like i said winning/losing is not so much the issue as much as if we do lose will it effect our credit rating and can they again come after the owners.

Zigner

That is all great but like i said winning/losing is not so much the issue as much as if we do lose will it effect our credit rating and can they again come after the owners.
It might and they may be able to.

Had you simply done a bit of research on the link provided you would know this already.

SuperRed

If the judgment is domesticated in a California court, it will show up on a credit report, and will affect the defendant's credit rating.
How would that happen if we are being sued in canada? Could they turn around and sue us again in California?

Zigner

How would that happen if we are being sued in canada? Could they turn around and sue us again in California?
What did your google search for "domesticated judgement" turn up?

Really- at least put some effort in to this!

SuperRed

What did your google search for "domesticated judgement" turn up?

Really- at least put some effort in to this!
okay serrously, i know you think your e-peen is 2 feet long because you pretend to give legal advice on the internet. But seriously people like me come to places like this to get legal advice not stupid snide remarks. You said "If the judgment is domesticated in a California court" how in the hell am I supposed to know to look for "domesticated judgement" from that? It may seem stupid to you but people coming to a place like this know little to nothing about the law.

Just stop posting and go away.

Zigner

okay serrously, i know you think your e-peen is 2 feet long because you pretend to give legal advice on the internet. But seriously people like me come to places like this to get legal advice not stupid snide remarks. You said "If the judgment is domesticated in a California court" how in the hell am I supposed to know to look for "domesticated judgement" from that? It may seem stupid to you but people coming to a place like this know little to nothing about the law.

Just stop posting and go away.
I see - I wasn't aware I was dealing with a juvenile. Please make sure to tell your parents to consult with a Canadian expert. Good day - and thanks for using your library time to post on our forum.

eerelations

I am in Canada and possess the legal knowledge you're looking for. However, given your 'tude, Dude, I really don't feel like passing it on to you. So I won't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">