• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my relocation agreement still binding if a company splits into two entities?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dome625

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My scenario:
My employer is making changes that are getting bit uncomfortable for me in my department. Since starting we've had two managers quit and now the work has fallen to one VP, one manager and about 7 staff. The mgmt team has decided to not allow us to move upwards mobility wise by eliminating the positions for us to progress into. I've asked and it was confirmed that this is the case for us all even though we're expected to pick up additional duties to support the team.
When I started I signed a contract with Company A. Since joining the company and going through a split I have been left working with Company B. Company A still exists, but I was not moved to that entity. My relocation contract was signed while we were Company A, but is it still valid (meaning I will have to repay it in full due to it being broken within 2 years) if I leave Company B before the end of it? In short I'm ready to leave before the situation I perceive leaves me out on the curb when it's inconvenient for them due to cutbacks currently going on.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We cannot comment on the enforceability of an agreement we haven't read. You'll need to show it to an attorney in your state for their review.

FlyingRon

Thank you. I appreciate that information.
But the answer I suspect is that unless there is some specific restriction in the agreement barring such, the agreement is still binding on whatever successor company your employer transforms into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">