• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Natural Expiration of Non-Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smaxfitness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm a physician who was a full-time employee for a year at a practice, during which time I had a year long contract which included salary, vacation, bonus structure, and a 5-mile non-compete for a year. Our contract expired a year and a half ago. After its expiration, we verbally agreed on restructuring the pay from a weekly salary to a daily wage as more of a part time employee. We ceased the salary, bonus, and vacation after the contract expired. I'm now looking to dissolve my part-time relationship with them and open my own practice about 3.5 miles from theirs. Do I have anything to worry about if they decide to try to enforce the non-compete even though every other aspect of the contract was dissolved after the contract expired?

OHRoadwarrior

If the written contract expired and you have been working under a verbal agreement, unless the non compete was part of the verbal agreement, you should be fine.

ecmst12

It would be extremely foolish to proceed with this plan without taking all your paperwork to a real live attorney in your area for advice. Yes, you will have to pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">