• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Hire Bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gbucki19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I signed a contract with a company 3/16/10 for a two year commitment with a $5000 sign on bonus. The contract read that I would have to repay the full amount unless I worked the full two years. However, I was lead to believe that this contract would be pro-rated depending on the amount of time I worked with the company. The girl who hired me, my direct supervisor, admitted to me that she sent the wrong contract over. She wanted to give me the one that was pro-rated, but she sent the wrong file. I would never have signed a two year agreeement if I knew the full details because I was planning on moving in about 18 months. But she assured me it would be pro-rated, so I might as well sign for the full 2 years and get the biggest bonus I was allowed. But now I want to quit after 14 months of work and I am required to pay back the full amount. Do I have any legs to stand on here, or am I required to pay the full amount back as per the contract?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I signed a contract with a company 3/16/10 for a two year commitment with a $5000 sign on bonus. The contract read that I would have to repay the full amount unless I worked the full two years. However, I was lead to believe that this contract would be pro-rated depending on the amount of time I worked with the company. The girl who hired me, my direct supervisor, admitted to me that she sent the wrong contract over. She wanted to give me the one that was pro-rated, but she sent the wrong file. I would never have signed a two year agreeement if I knew the full details because I was planning on moving in about 18 months. But she assured me it would be pro-rated, so I might as well sign for the full 2 years and get the biggest bonus I was allowed. But now I want to quit after 14 months of work and I am required to pay back the full amount. Do I have any legs to stand on here, or am I required to pay the full amount back as per the contract?
You have to do whatever you agreed to do under the contract. You could of course simply work the full two years you committed to work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the contract was signed in March of 2010, then how is it that July of 2012 isn't MORE than 2 years? :confused:

justalayman

She wanted to give me the one that was pro-rated, but she sent the wrong file. I would never have signed a two year agreeement if I knew the full details because I was planning on moving in about 18 months.
actually, you would have because that is exactly what you did. If you did not read the contract you signed, that is your fault alone.

glovenltd

the commitment of the work is two year i think if u fulfill your task in a time the company give a full money.
if you are doing extra work your boss will satisfied and give a bonus.so carry on your work task.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">