• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NFS checks and fraud; how far can someone push it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HaklePrime

Pennsylvania

I work with an associate from time to time, entertainment vendor, low profile gigs. My last job however, he startled me with an equipment rental agreement, pretty standard however, so I thought nothing of it. Following the gig, I returned the equipment in good condition, he presented me with a check, asks that I deposit it immediately, stating something about it being backed by his credit, and I went on my way.

Four days later, my bank informs me the check is NSF, I inform him, he hmmms and hawwws, and says he'll correct it, and will present actual cash to me in place of the NFS. He then proceeds, over the course of the next 3 weeks, to: not show up at stated locations, not answer phone calls, text me to come over to pick up the money but not actually be there, etc. Frustrated, I send a PA required 10 day collections letter, demanding face value, interest, and the bounced check fee from my bank.

At the 9 day mark, he sends me an email stating that there is damaged equipment.

Obviously, he's grasping at straws. I'm fairly confident that he never actually intended to pay me from day 1. I'm aware that, following day 10, I can file for Check Fraud, which I believe caps out at $1500 in PA (3x face value of NSF, not to exceed $500 face value). Is there any further I can take this though? As petty as it may sound, I really feel the need to punish this guy, as it has severely harmed my finances, all for doing an excellent job and providing his company with valuable references.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">