• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete Agreement Valid if no gainful employment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sumit Mittal

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I was employed by one of the coaching agencies as a consultant and was on a pay per hour basis. There was a non-compete clause in the employemnt contract stating that I cannot compete with them for 18 months after my employment with them terminated.
I have been a consultant for them for over one year and my contarct with them has since expired. There was not one engagement that I was offered and thus I have not received a single payment from them during this one year, though they did take me through an interent based training.
I am genuinely interested in this sector and am thinking of starting up my own business. In light of the fact that I did not engage with them on even a single engagement and thus was not gainfully employed by them, can they hold me to court on the basis of that employment contract?

Look forward to your advice.
Thanks
Sumit Mittal

Sumit Mittal

Information

Well I am in the UK but the company is headquartered in Malibu, California so I assume US laws would be applicable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">