• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete and Change of Control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misjean2005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a Sub-Contractor that is currently subbing jobs off of a Shed Building Company. I have previously worked for many Home Builders for the past 10 years and since the Economic Downfall and the drop in Construction this was one of the only options I had to continue in my trade. In January of 2008 I was told to sign a Non-Compete form that prohibits me from opening my own shed company in 3 couties for the duration of 2 years after end of employment. In December of 2008 the business had a Change of Control. There is now new ownership of the Company and the old owner that the non-compete was signed under is no longer a part of the business.

My question to anyone who can help me here is, Does this non-compete still hold ground now that there is New Ownership of the company and I have not signed a new one with the new owner? Also, since there are no real "Trade Secrets" that I have aquired while sub-contracting off of this company, because I have aquired all of my skills many years prior to signing this non-compete, it this contract Voided?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter. I would love to take my own company to the next level and add sheds as a service but I do not want to go against this agreement if it is still valid!!

Thank You!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">