• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sshepherd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I will try to make this short. I currently work at a salon. I am 1099, yet commission based. I signed a contract when i first started back in March that stated things like: After I stop working at this salon I can't work within a 2 mile radius of this salon doing anything that has to do with hair or nails. That I can't take any names out of their system because they own those names. Anyway, I am quitting this salon because the owners broke a verbal contract with me. (They first told me that when I want to go "booth rent" (my own business within theirs) that I can. Now they are telling me that they no longer are allowing that.) **************I am going to be starting at a new salon in a couple weeks that is 1.3 miles east of my current one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hot Topic

You're bound by the terms of the contract you signed. You can be sued if you do anything that has to do with nails or hair at your salon. Period. If you didn't like the terms, you shouldn't have signed the contract and gone to work for them.

No, you can't use their datebase to build your business.

A verbal contract is as good as the paper it was written on unless your state says otherwise. Had you gotten something in writing about the booth, you could have held them to it.

sshepherd

even though i'm 1099 and the top of the contract says "Employee Covenants"? And everything written in the contract refers to me as an employee, which I am not

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">