• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Profit on Private Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScottaBennett

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I'm not sure where to post for this so I will be brief but thorough.
I am part of an Astronomy Club in Chiefland Florida which recently (within the last 12 to 24 months) became a Florida Not-for-profit Organization. The club’s web site lists information about becoming a member, dues, etc. I have been a member of the club for the better part of 11 years. Members are required to pay a first time 35 dollar annual membership due then 25 per year the following years. The club meets monthly on New Moons and members are expected to pay $5 per night for using a tent, or $10 per night if in a camper or RV. This money collected by the club’s LLC is used for property taxes, insurance, electricity and mowing. The property the club meets on is privately owned and the owner resides on the property.

Recently the owner during a club event shot a .22 caliber rifle at a neighbor’s cat. I and several members were needless-to-say upset by the disregard of member safety and shooting at a domesticated animal. I called the property owner out on his actions on an online club forum which got heated and then the property owner told me I was no longer welcome on his property.

Question: Can I be banned from club events without proper censure or action by the club leadership? I have been an upstanding member of the club for years with no incidents what-so-ever to my name.

Thank you for any information you could provide.
Scott

Some Random Guy

If the owner decides to bar you from the property and you enter his land, you can be cited for trespassing.

If the club wants to disagree with that, then they are free to hold up their written contract that says that they have the right to override the owners wishes in terms of who enters the property.

Absent a written agreement, the club can negotiate whether you are allowed on the land with the owner. There are three possible outcomes: you still aren't allowed on, you are allowed on, the owner kicks the whole club off. Due to the strong possibility of the third option, I doubt that the club will press too hard on this issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">