• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not in the contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlmcameron

I contracted with a company for trash removal. The contract was negotiated and signed it was a simple 3 page contract. After the term of service, I ended the contract. I received a final bill that had container removal fees. I scoured my original contract for these fees. I could not find where I agreed to these fees not even vague references. I wrote the company and stated I had not agreed to these fees and was not paying. They wrote back and stated these fees were valid and I had to pay. I asked them to send me what I signed. They sent me 9 scanned pages that contained multiple copies of my original 3 page contract with a lot of hand written notes and fees added in. Nowhere on these additions where my iniitials or signature that I agreed to those fees. I told them that was invalid and I wasn't paying. I talked to a lawyer and he agreed with me. Long story short, they say I owe, I say I don't as the late charges continue to apply. Eventually this will have to end up in a JP court if they want file a collection on me. Which JP court could it end up in? Will it go to the service address JP court? Will it be the regional office JP court (another city)? Will it be a corporate office JP court (another state)?

adjusterjack

When you opened the message space you saw this:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did you think it was there just to display a pretty font? No, it's there because laws vary from state to state.

If all you care about is what venue you can be sued in, GENERALLY, a lawsuit regarding a contract can be filed where the defendant is located or where the contract was signed.

rlmcameron

I did see that, but thought it was just general statement that international laws wouldn't be answered here.

So if a suit comes it will most likely be in the local JP court. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">