• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid for programming contract work in CA for business in MI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnsmith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am an independent computer programming contractor in California. I was hired for a project by a person who runs his own company in Michigan to do some work. The contract states I am paid by the hour. He gave me some work to do with few specifications about how to do it. Later he gave me more specifications about how I should do the work and what he needed. But that meant the first few days of work I did are useless. He now believes he should not have to pay for any work (code) he can't use. I believe it's his fault because his initial instruction were vague so I was getting the job done how I wanted, but he later changed things to be more specific.

If he does not pay me, which court do I file a claim with--CA or MI? Would this be something for small claims court if the contested amount is < $1000?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">