• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painting Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steverwrx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I got a quote from a local licensed contractor to paint my company's building inside and out. I signed and returned their quote along with requested 25% down payment. They were supposed to start the job today and I get a call from the owner that the sales guy grossly underestimated the job and he can't do it at that cost and offered the deposit check back. They also re-quoted the job at with about a 35% increase which is way out of budget. The problem our building is set to get new tile & carpeting which is supposed to start right after painting so all is scheduled and I don't have to start over with another company. Is there a way to force them to complete the job as originally quoted? But even if I do that, I am worried about the quality. Any advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I got a quote from a local licensed contractor to paint my company's building inside and out. I signed and returned their quote along with requested 25% down payment. They were supposed to start the job today and I get a call from the owner that the sales guy grossly underestimated the job and he can't do it at that cost and offered the deposit check back. They also re-quoted the job at with about a 35% increase which is way out of budget. The problem our building is set to get new tile & carpeting which is supposed to start right after painting so all is scheduled and I don't have to start over with another company. Is there a way to force them to complete the job as originally quoted? But even if I do that, I am worried about the quality. Any advice would be appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Strictly following common law, you could agree to the additional price, and when the job is finished, refuse to pay, and not be liable for the addition, as there is no additional consideration for the contract modification.

Some jurisdictions have found that the foregoing the ability to breach the contract constitutes the required consideration. You really need to discuss this with an Arizona lawyer.

Hot Topic

If you want to go ahead with them, get a new contract with the new quote and tear up the contract you have. Never be dumb enough to have the work done, then tell the company that you're not going to pay them unless you want them to sic their lawyer on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">