• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partners Instructed Company Lawyer to Update Address on Credit Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bizpartner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
MA

I'm in business with other partners and there was a time ago we needed a credit card to fund certain day to day cashflow crisis. I had a Business Credit Card from my previous business and volunteered since I had the best credit. Things have been going great thus far. This week I received a notification from my bank that an address was changed on file for said credit card. I kept my home address for two things, I am the guarantor of account and want to make sure its paid every month so my credit is not tarnished or they don't come after my house.

I immediately called the Bank and they stated that the account was being represented by an Attorney, and I stated that I did not ask anyone to represent me. If you login to the online banking, my name is everywhere, not business name.

The Credit card is used only for a few large purchases in business and not day to day and is paid in full at end of each month.

Is it legal for them to send letter to bank to update primary address on account without my consent?

Is it legal for an attorney to take control over an account that is currently mine without my authorization? Even though the account was taken over my the company lawyer?

What are my options, obligations on this situation.

Thanks for all

Last edited:

LdiJ

MA, sorry, didn't know had to be this specific.
Laws vary from state to state.

I would be contacting the bank that issued the credit card again, and get the address changed back to yours, and to get an alert put in the account that if anyone but you attempts to change anything, that it be disallowed. Then, you should also be contacting the attorney in question and asking them very bluntly why they thought that they had the right to mess with your credit card.

bizpartner

Laws vary from state to state.

I would be contacting the bank that issued the credit card again, and get the address changed back to yours, and to get an alert put in the account that if anyone but you attempts to change anything, that it be disallowed. Then, you should also be contacting the attorney in question and asking them very bluntly why they thought that they had the right to mess with your credit card.
I have asked address to be updated. This is a Small Business Credit Card(with the personal guarantee) not a Corporate Card, who is the owner of that card and can make decisions on it?

LdiJ

I have asked address to be updated. This is a Small Business Credit Card(with the personal guarantee) not a Corporate Card, who is the owner of that card and can make decisions on it?
Who applied for it? I know that you guaranteed it, but who applied for it? If that is you as well, then I say that its your card.

LdiJ

I applied for it before this business existed and was using on this business.
Ok, then its YOUR card and no one has the right to change anything about it.

However, I also think that you should make it clear to the lawyer, yourself, that its your credit card that you have been allowing the business to use, and that you did not authorize him to change anything and will never authorize him to change anything.

bizpartner

Ok, then its YOUR card and no one has the right to change anything about it.

However, I also think that you should make it clear to the lawyer, yourself, that its your credit card that you have been allowing the business to use, and that you did not authorize him to change anything and will never authorize him to change anything.
Can't the company argue since they are paying the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">