+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7

    Partners Instructed Company Lawyer to Update Address on Credit Card

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    MA

    I'm in business with other partners and there was a time ago we needed a credit card to fund certain day to day cashflow crisis. I had a Business Credit Card from my previous business and volunteered since I had the best credit. Things have been going great thus far. This week I received a notification from my bank that an address was changed on file for said credit card. I kept my home address for two things, I am the guarantor of account and want to make sure its paid every month so my credit is not tarnished or they don't come after my house.

    I immediately called the Bank and they stated that the account was being represented by an Attorney, and I stated that I did not ask anyone to represent me. If you login to the online banking, my name is everywhere, not business name.

    The Credit card is used only for a few large purchases in business and not day to day and is paid in full at end of each month.

    Is it legal for them to send letter to bank to update primary address on account without my consent?

    Is it legal for an attorney to take control over an account that is currently mine without my authorization? Even though the account was taken over my the company lawyer?

    What are my options, obligations on this situation.

    Thanks for all


    Last edited by bizpartner; 01-11-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: specific with location
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    64,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
    Northeast
    Sorry, this forum is for US law only.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Sorry, this forum is for US law only.
    It is US, new england state.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    64,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    It is US, new england state.
    New England is not a state...but we're getting closer.

    What is the name of your US state?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    New England is not a state...but we're getting closer.

    What is the name of your US state?
    MA, sorry, didn't know had to be this specific.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    72,912
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    MA, sorry, didn't know had to be this specific.
    Laws vary from state to state.

    I would be contacting the bank that issued the credit card again, and get the address changed back to yours, and to get an alert put in the account that if anyone but you attempts to change anything, that it be disallowed. Then, you should also be contacting the attorney in question and asking them very bluntly why they thought that they had the right to mess with your credit card.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    Laws vary from state to state.

    I would be contacting the bank that issued the credit card again, and get the address changed back to yours, and to get an alert put in the account that if anyone but you attempts to change anything, that it be disallowed. Then, you should also be contacting the attorney in question and asking them very bluntly why they thought that they had the right to mess with your credit card.
    I have asked address to be updated. This is a Small Business Credit Card(with the personal guarantee) not a Corporate Card, who is the owner of that card and can make decisions on it?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    72,912
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    I have asked address to be updated. This is a Small Business Credit Card(with the personal guarantee) not a Corporate Card, who is the owner of that card and can make decisions on it?
    Who applied for it? I know that you guaranteed it, but who applied for it? If that is you as well, then I say that its your card.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    Who applied for it? I know that you guaranteed it, but who applied for it? If that is you as well, then I say that its your card.
    I applied for it before this business existed and was using on this business.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    72,912
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    I applied for it before this business existed and was using on this business.
    Ok, then its YOUR card and no one has the right to change anything about it.

    However, I also think that you should make it clear to the lawyer, yourself, that its your credit card that you have been allowing the business to use, and that you did not authorize him to change anything and will never authorize him to change anything.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    Ok, then its YOUR card and no one has the right to change anything about it.

    However, I also think that you should make it clear to the lawyer, yourself, that its your credit card that you have been allowing the business to use, and that you did not authorize him to change anything and will never authorize him to change anything.
    Can't the company argue since they are paying the bill.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    64,960
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    Can't the company argue since they are paying the bill.
    No - and I would suggest that you cancel this card and come to a new arrangement.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by bizpartner View Post
    Can't the company argue since they are paying the bill.
    Paying the bill gets them no extra rights with the creditor. If I pay my son's credit card I still can't change the address or modify the account.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by AdjunctFL View Post
    Paying the bill gets them no extra rights with the creditor. If I pay my son's credit card I still can't change the address or modify the account.
    Great, thanks for all the help. Things are clearer now.


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM
  2. Lawyer doesn't file motion as instructed. What to do?
    By randolph in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:47 PM
  3. Credit card company is holding me responsible for a charge on a stolen card.
    By theGWS in forum Starting and Operating a Business
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 06:26 PM
  4. Credit Card co. won't update my credit file
    By chasman in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 08:33 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.