• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pawned items and business burned down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Memorie0124

I have numerous items I had to pawn in order to pay bills due to a prior employer failing to pay my wages (which I'm pursuing through the Labor Board) and this pawn store caught fire, completely burned to the ground. How do I receive compensation to replace these items??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have numerous items I had to pawn in order to pay bills due to a prior employer failing to pay my wages (which I'm pursuing through the Labor Board) and this pawn store caught fire, completely burned to the ground. How do I receive compensation to replace these items??
What is your US state?

Check your pawn agreement - but I suspect that you were required to carry your own insurance.

FlyingRon

It depends on the state and the nature of the fire. Pawn shop owners are normally required to take reasonable care and diligence to protect the pawned items. In some cases there's more strict liability on their part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">