• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Payable on Death" Trust (Totten Trust)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyblue48

What is the name of your state?

California

Hi,

I have an online savings account and would like to create a "Payable on Death" Trust (Totten Trust) on the account naming my mother as the beneficiary (she is the only person I can name as a beneficiary). I contacted the bank about this and they informed me that my mother doesn't qualify as their bank policy doesn't permit Non-US citizens to be named beneficiaries for such Trust types. My mum and I are foreign nationals but I'm currently in the US on a work visa. My questions are as follows: Does the law restrict "Payable on Death" (Totten Trust) beneficiaries to US Citizens? If not, is the bank legally compelled to accept whomsoever I name as beneficiary or are they at liberty to accept/reject beneficiaries on the basis of their internal policies?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

divgradcurl

skyblue48 said:
What is the name of your state?

California

Hi,

I have an online savings account and would like to create a "Payable on Death" Trust (Totten Trust) on the account naming my mother as the beneficiary (she is the only person I can name as a beneficiary). I contacted the bank about this and they informed me that my mother doesn't qualify as their bank policy doesn't permit Non-US citizens to be named beneficiaries for such Trust types. My mum and I are foreign nationals but I'm currently in the US on a work visa. My questions are as follows: Does the law restrict "Payable on Death" (Totten Trust) beneficiaries to US Citizens? If not, is the bank legally compelled to accept whomsoever I name as beneficiary or are they at liberty to accept/reject beneficiaries on the basis of their internal policies?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?
There is no law that requires that a POD account be limited to U.S. citizens, but there is also no law that says a bank has to allow anyone you want as a beneficiary. See if another bank can handle the trust the way you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">