• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Sex Company Deducting Tips

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatPurr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi- I posted this in the Employment & Labor Law Forum, but was told I should post it in this category instead, as I am an independent contractor.

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Cat. I'm from Woodland Hills, CA (outside of L.A.). I know that this may sound a bit strange, but I work part time from home, as a phone sex operator (hey, it's decent extra money and never a dull moment!) I have been doing this for the past 4 1/2 months. I am not considered an employee, but an Independent Contractor. The company I work for is based in CA as well, under the name Antena. They are what is called a "Dispatch Company", meaning they have their own website which we set up a charachter on, and the customer calls the company, requests to talk to the person they are interested in, and they send the call to us. The pay isn't that great- the customer pays in 15 minute blocks of time for around $18.00, and we get paid either $4.00 or $ 5.00 depending on if it's a repeat caller or not. However, the customer is allowed to tip. To be able to receive tips, you have to have taken at least $300.00 worth of calls for the company the prior month for the tip prompt to be turned on. I think that's kind of bogus to begin with, but whatever. This is the first month I have been able to receive tips. I have one caller who tipped me big. We are able to view our transaction statement online to see how much money we've made. Today, when viewing, I noticed that a large portion of my tips were deducted. I called up the main office and asked what was going on. She informed me that if we made over $100.00 in tips, 20% of that was deducted and goes directly to the company. I was really shocked when I heard this. The company makes SO much money off us per call as it is, and they take a portion of tips as well?!?! I was wondering if anyone knew if this was legal or not. I don't know how much laws would differ seeing as I'm considered an independent contractor, but still, this just doesn't seem right. If anyone knows, or could point me in the right direction to finding an answer, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Cat

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi- I posted this in the Employment & Labor Law Forum, but was told I should post it in this category instead, as I am an independent contractor.

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Cat. I'm from Woodland Hills, CA (outside of L.A.). I know that this may sound a bit strange, but I work part time from home, as a phone sex operator (hey, it's decent extra money and never a dull moment!) I have been doing this for the past 4 1/2 months. I am not considered an employee, but an Independent Contractor. The company I work for is based in CA as well, under the name Antena. They are what is called a "Dispatch Company", meaning they have their own website which we set up a charachter on, and the customer calls the company, requests to talk to the person they are interested in, and they send the call to us. The pay isn't that great- the customer pays in 15 minute blocks of time for around $18.00, and we get paid either $4.00 or $ 5.00 depending on if it's a repeat caller or not. However, the customer is allowed to tip. To be able to receive tips, you have to have taken at least $300.00 worth of calls for the company the prior month for the tip prompt to be turned on. I think that's kind of bogus to begin with, but whatever. This is the first month I have been able to receive tips. I have one caller who tipped me big. We are able to view our transaction statement online to see how much money we've made. Today, when viewing, I noticed that a large portion of my tips were deducted. I called up the main office and asked what was going on. She informed me that if we made over $100.00 in tips, 20% of that was deducted and goes directly to the company. I was really shocked when I heard this. The company makes SO much money off us per call as it is, and they take a portion of tips as well?!?! I was wondering if anyone knew if this was legal or not. I don't know how much laws would differ seeing as I'm considered an independent contractor, but still, this just doesn't seem right. If anyone knows, or could point me in the right direction to finding an answer, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Cat
**A: Hmm, It appears that the company is free to change the rules at any time. Did you sign any written contract?

mmmagique

Some companies take up to 50% if you are tipped over $100. at a time. (I'm not sure why)

My advice to you is to join psodivas, and psosupport and ask your question there.

You will also be able to find better companies to work for!!

~Christina

CaAtty

It is illegal for the company to take employee tips

Under CA law, Labor Code Secs. 350-354, employers cannot take any portion of a tip paid to an employee.

Now, they will argue that because you're an independent contractor, these laws do not apply.

This is an open question in CA. However the Mass Supreme Court just ruled that their tip law applies to independent contractors as well as employees. There's no CA case on this topic yet -- though I suspect you could easily find an attorney who is willing to take that issue on.

Also, you can go to the CA Labor Commissioner's office in your area, for free, for advice on this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Under CA law, Labor Code Secs. 350-354, employers cannot take any portion of a tip paid to an employee.

Now, they will argue that because you're an independent contractor, these laws do not apply.

This is an open question in CA. However the Mass Supreme Court just ruled that their tip law applies to independent contractors as well as employees. There's no CA case on this topic yet -- though I suspect you could easily find an attorney who is willing to take that issue on.

Also, you can go to the CA Labor Commissioner's office in your area, for free, for advice on this.
This thread is over 6 months old. Don't necropost.

CaAtty

Wow, that was kinda pissy

Just, thought it would be helpful info for the person who asked the question. If they're still taking her tips 6 months later, I bet it's not old news to her.

Isis1

Just, thought it would be helpful info for the person who asked the question. If they're still taking her tips 6 months later, I bet it's not old news to her.
and if she hasn't logged on since......

Last Activity: 04-24-2009 07:29 AM

then what?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And I think mentioning MA law to a CA poster is doing a disservice. But you didn't hear me saying that, did you?

CaAtty

And, I would know that how?

Look, found her question online in the midst of research, and signed up for this free advice thing because I had a helpful answer.

On the other hand, it's there's a bunch of hall monitors simply lurking around to enforce some arbitrary rules, then nevermind. Not worth my "free" time.

Isis1

Look, found her question online in the midst of research, and signed up for this free advice thing because I had a helpful answer.

On the other hand, it's there's a bunch of hall monitors simply lurking around to enforce some arbitrary rules, then nevermind. Not worth my "free" time.
don't forget your refund. :D

CaAtty

Well, it may be helpful

Since it's an UNSETTLED question under CA law, and CA courts often look to other jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">