• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photographer from Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dboozer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Hello, and thank you for reading this. I really appreciate any help you can give!

My wife and I married just a few weeks ago, and hired a photographer for the event. When we signed the contract, she required a down payment of half of the contract (about $1600), which we paid. As part of the deal, we did one engagement photosession, several months before the wedding.

About 1 month to day before our wedding, the photographer e-mailed my wife saying she had broken up with her boyfriend, whom she had been working with. Per the contract, we were to have 2 photographers, so she wanted to give us a deal since we wouldn't be getting 2 photographers for our big day. This deal, however, was never amended to the contract, even though the contract explicitly states any changes need to be amended in writing and signed. We e-mailed saying this would be fine, however we never heard back from the photographer.

Two weeks later (and exactly two weeks before the wedding), my mother-in-law e-mailed the photographer to ask where to send the final balance. This e-mail bounced back as undeliverable. Naturally we tried to call the photographer. Her phone was disconnected and she no longer lived at the address we had for her (which we had because of where we sent the first check). She also shut down her website and Facebook accounts. Naturally, this was pretty stressful. We spent the next two days (a weekend) scouring for her on the internet. After two days of searching and no luck, we decided to hire another photographer, whom we met with to discuss the arrangements for the wedding.

The next day, the old photographer finally texted us with a new number. She explained that she had dissolved her business because it reminded of her ex-boyfriend, who left her for another woman. She called my mother-in-law various names and was obviously emotionally unstable from the break-up. We tried to work with her, and we demanded a new contract. She refused and no new contract was created.

Even though we tried to work with her, we had already hired a new photographer who set our date aside. We then signed a contract with her 10 days before the wedding. We of course let the first photographer know she was fired at this time.

Now, this photographer is threatening to sue us, 3 weeks after our wedding! Even though she dissolved her business, her name was on the contract. She has already received half of the amount, which we were not going to try to get back. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some advice on how we can proceed. Please let me know if you need any more information.

- Dave

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

Hello, and thank you for reading this. I really appreciate any help you can give!

My wife and I married just a few weeks ago, and hired a photographer for the event. When we signed the contract, she required a down payment of half of the contract (about $1600), which we paid. As part of the deal, we did one engagement photosession, several months before the wedding.

About 1 month to day before our wedding, the photographer e-mailed my wife saying she had broken up with her boyfriend, whom she had been working with. Per the contract, we were to have 2 photographers, so she wanted to give us a deal since we wouldn't be getting 2 photographers for our big day. This deal, however, was never amended to the contract, even though the contract explicitly states any changes need to be amended in writing and signed. We e-mailed saying this would be fine, however we never heard back from the photographer.

Two weeks later (and exactly two weeks before the wedding), my mother-in-law e-mailed the photographer to ask where to send the final balance. This e-mail bounced back as undeliverable. Naturally we tried to call the photographer. Her phone was disconnected and she no longer lived at the address we had for her (which we had because of where we sent the first check). She also shut down her website and Facebook accounts. Naturally, this was pretty stressful. We spent the next two days (a weekend) scouring for her on the internet. After two days of searching and no luck, we decided to hire another photographer, whom we met with to discuss the arrangements for the wedding.

The next day, the old photographer finally texted us with a new number. She explained that she had dissolved her business because it reminded of her ex-boyfriend, who left her for another woman. She called my mother-in-law various names and was obviously emotionally unstable from the break-up. We tried to work with her, and we demanded a new contract. She refused and no new contract was created.

Even though we tried to work with her, we had already hired a new photographer who set our date aside. We then signed a contract with her 10 days before the wedding. We of course let the first photographer know she was fired at this time.

Now, this photographer is threatening to sue us, 3 weeks after our wedding! Even though she dissolved her business, her name was on the contract. She has already received half of the amount, which we were not going to try to get back. Hopefully someone on this forum will have some advice on how we can proceed. Please let me know if you need any more information.

- Dave
You jumped the gun. You panicked because you were unable to reach the original photographer two weeks prior to the scheduled event. However, as you soon found out, she didn't disappear, but came to make good on her contractual obligations, as she was supposed to do.

She showed that, despite her personal issues, she was still available and committed to perform the services according to that contract. Depending on how that contract was written, you may well end up having to pay the old photographer in full to keep up your end of the contract.

tranquility

At the end of the day, you have a complex situation that would depend on the judge.

Make a deal. It Will be better and cheaper and not have mental issues that takes years and mental health professionals to resolve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">