• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PMPA Help, Just Got Notice Of Mutual Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrMatthew

Im in Texas, I own a gas station, well technically I lease the business, and the distributor owns the land. Ive been in business 18 years, and have never had any issues. I just got this letter in the mail tonight, certified, and Im calling an attorney first thing in the morning.The business is big, I net over $1M/year and I've never had issues from the distributor. I've been researching for the last few hours and it seems under the PMPA they have to offer me the business for sale first is this correct? I've been trying to buy the land for years and they wont sell it to me and now it seems they want to kick me out for no good reason at all other than the partnership is economically not viable for them. I dont know how so, maybe I pay an under market rent, but anyways what Id like to know is what does the PMPA do for me. Ive read it seems they must offer the business to me? If so I have the funds to purchase it. Is there any way I dont have a shot at buying it? The company has been after me for years to trade it for other stores or sell it and I dont want to because the income is incredible. At this point what solutions do I have? Im just worried my 18 years of hard work may end up in $0 in compensation for the business which would break my heart as Ive worked years on this. I obviously have plenty saved and other assets, but the business is probably worth $3m+ just business alone without the land and its incredibly profitable, Id hate for it to just be stripped away from me for nothing

Thank you for your time

This is the actual wording

"This is a courtesy letter sent in advance of the expiration date of the retail agreements, to request you follow up with us and discuss any possibly mutually acceptable resolution regarding the premises and the retail agreement.if a mutually agreeable solution is not reached between the parties, and a final decision is made to non renew the retail agreement, a PMPA notice letter will be provided to you"

Last edited:

quincy

I own a gas station, well technically I lease the business, and the distributor owns the land. Ive been in business 18 years, and have never had any issues. I just got this letter in the mail tonight, certified, and Im calling an attorney first thing in the morning.The business is big, I net over $1M/year and I've never had issues from the distributor. I've been researching for the last few hours and it seems under the PMPA they have to offer me the business for sale first is this correct? I've been trying to buy the land for years and they wont sell it to me and now it seems they want to kick me out for no good reason at all other than the partnership is economically not viable for them. I dont know how so, maybe I pay an under market rent, but anyways what Id like to know is what does the PMPA do for me. Ive read it seems they must offer the business to me? If so I have the funds to purchase it. Is there any way I dont have a shot at buying it? The company has been after me for years to trade it for other stores or sell it and I dont want to because the income is incredible. At this point what solutions do I have? Im just worried my 18 years of hard work may end up in $0 in compensation for the business which would break my heart as Ive worked years on this. I obviously have plenty saved and other assets, but the business is probably worth $3m+ just business alone without the land and its incredibly profitable, Id hate for it to just be stripped away from me for nothing

Thank you for your time
Here is a link to the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2006/rpt/2006-r-0626.htm

The supplier can terminate or choose not to renew its lease relationship with you for various and assorted reasons. It appears that, under the Act, the supplier must sell, transfer or assign the premises to you (the franchisee) or give you the right of first refusal. There are probably exceptions of some sort but I have not read through the Act thoroughly to determine what these exceptions might be.

It is good that you will be speaking with an attorney tomorrow.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">