• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is Pro-Forma Invoice is enough?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ammar87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
hi
i am living in USA,IL and am trying to buy a device from company in Canada , it cost $6500 the company sent me Pro-Forma Invoice without any stamp or signature and they ask me to send a certified check by mail.my question is if i send the check is there any chance that they will not supply the device , is the Pro-Forma Invoice is enough legal binding document that i can use it against them if they refuse to ship the device after receiving the check?
please answer me

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no way that we can judge whether not the other party will fulfill their end of the bargain. You could have 50 pages of a fully binding contract and they could still renege on the deal - then you would have to pursue legal action in Canada.

ammar87

yes i do understand that there is nothing to make sure that they will fulfill the deal ,but they are a very large company so the 6500 is like selling Hamburger, but i just want to know am doing this deal legally correct .

Zigner

Whether it's "legally correct" is a very vague question. What concerns do you actually have?

ammar87

the concerns are:
after receiving the money and deny to supply the device can i sue them using this document
if i receive the device and there are some components different from what stated in the Pro-Forma Invoice, can i sue them if they refuse to replace them.

Zigner

the concerns are:
after receiving the money and deny to supply the device can i sue them using this document
if i receive the device and there are some components different from what stated in the Pro-Forma Invoice, can i sue them if they refuse to replace them.
If I were answering your question based on US law, I would say that yes, you can sue based on either scenario. However, you would need to sue in Canada based on Canadian law.

Zigner

Just so you know - based on US law, you wouldn't even need the document to sue. Sure, it gives you a better case, but there is no requirement for it to be present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">