• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Reimbursement Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luna2

During the employment of my job - I made a few out-of-pocket purchases of items for my work (software) - considered as a business expense. I was then reimbursed for that.

My questions is: does that employer legally "own" those items, especially if the contract were to not specify this in any way? As stated:
During the term of this Agreement, the Contractor shall bill and the Company shall
reimburse [him or her] for all reasonable and approved out-of-pocket expenses, which are incurred in
connection with the performance of the duties hereunder. Notwithstanding the foregoing, expenses for
the time spent by Contractor in traveling to and from Company facilities shall not be reimbursable.
Thanks,
Luna

(Not sure if this is where to post this, so forgive me if so..)

quincy

During the employment of my job - I made a few out-of-pocket purchases of items for my work (software) - considered as a business expense. I was then reimbursed for that.

My questions is: does that employer legally "own" those items, especially if the contract were to not specify this in any way? As stated:

Thanks,
Luna

(Not sure if this is where to post this, so forgive me if so..)
If you were reimbursed for your purchases, the company can claim ownership. The company is, essentially, providing you with the tools necessary for you to do the work you have been employed to do.

Luna2

If you were reimbursed for your purchases, the company can claim ownership. The company is, essentially, providing you with the tools necessary for you to do the work you have been employed to do.
Ok - thanks for the clarification, quincy. Much appreciated.
Luna

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">