• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question re "jointly and severally obligated" in construction contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmith56

I am hiring a tree service to cut down a tree that is very close to my house, so I want to make sure that if they make a mistake and damage my house that they (or their insurance) will pay, not me. On the contract for the job it says under the "Owner acknowledgements" section the following:
5. Owner agrees to be jointly and severally obligated and liable hereunder.

This sounds to me like if the contractor damages something, I am as liable as they are? This statment doesn't refer to anything specifically, it just seems to refer to the whole contract in general. Does this say what I think it does and has anyone else seen anythign like this in a contruction contract? Elsewhere in the contract, it says I also must use mdiation before suing. The rest of it seems fairly harmless. I live in CT.

Thanks very much for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">