• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question for you about contract and possible damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockst0ne

Good evening,

I have a quick question for you about contract and possible damages:

Quick Facts:
- Joined a loosely organized (no 501 c6 or LLC) wedding networking group seven months ago. Benefits included networking and special events targeted to prospective clients.
- Paid a fee to join ($300), did not sign any agreement but received confirmation of membership.
- Did work on an upcoming event next month. But got asked to leave group before the event because several of the members were dissatisfied with my business and the way I approached certain meeting topics. (I disagreed and happened to be late to one of the events a few months ago)
- The work I did for this upcoming event included a facebook ad campaign, design work on a flyer.
- I'd like to get reimbursed for this work and the rest of the membership term (5 months). This amounts to about $755 of work and service that I won't receive any benefit from.

Questions:
1. Do I have claim to damages since I won't be receiving any benefit from the work as expected prior to being asked to leave group?
2. At what point should I send an invoice for this work and my expected reimbursement? Should I wait until after this event to let the full scope of damages play out (facebook ad run out and see the success of the event) or notify them of the invoice now?

Thanks for any guidance. IF you think I could do this and get more damages, please let me know.

racer72

Depends on what the agreement with the group says and we don't have access to it. I would suggest printing it and having a local attorney review it so you can discuss your options.

justalayman

racer's advice is about the most solid advice you can get on this but to expand a bit:

was there an agreement you would be paid for the work? If not, you are not likely to be owed anything.

to expect payment, there needs to be a contract and especially since there was no fee or charge determined and especially since it appears you had no intention of charging since it would benefit you as well, I would suspect there is no contract.

as to a refund of your membership fee; that depends on what the fee is claiming to cover. If it simply costs $300 to get in the door, then it's likely gone. If it was to cover some specified period, then maybe a part of it is eligible to be refunded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">