• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on becoming a distributor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tirnaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I think this is the right fourm for this. I am looking to be a reseller of a weight loss supplement. Basically I will be buying their product in bulk and reselling it for their recommended price. The company, AMS Health Sciences provided me with their Policies and Procedures Manual (http://www.sabaforlife.com/backoffice/pdfs/SabaPolicies&Procedures.pdf) The manual says as an associate I will be an independent contractor and I am confused on some points.

-Do I need to setup as a small business or self employment?
-Do I need to charge sales tax on the product? Indiana charges 7% on supplements, but the company is based out of Oklahoma.
-Would liability insurance be worth it?

tranquility

I think this is the right fourm for this. I am looking to be a reseller of a weight loss supplement. Basically I will be buying their product in bulk and reselling it for their recommended price. The company, AMS Health Sciences provided me with their Policies and Procedures Manual (http://www.sabaforlife.com/backoffice/pdfs/SabaPolicies&Procedures.pdf) The manual says as an associate I will be an independent contractor and I am confused on some points.

-Do I need to charge sales tax on the product? Indiana charges 7% on supplements, but the company is based out of Oklahoma.
The manner of business organization reflects specific goals, which you have not mentioned. So, I express no opinion. You need to charge sales tax to all venues you have "nexus". This is a legal term. See an attorney or tax professional. I LOVE liability insurance. Almost better than corporate structure to prevent liability. At the very least, they provide a defense to suit. For weight loss? Um..for weight loss where a number of large companies took huge losses for their clients..a...dying, I'd say yes.

LdiJ

Yes, you would absolutely have to collect sales tax and remit it to the state of Indiana. Yes, you would be making a huge mistake not to have liability insurance. Whether you set up as a small business or as a sole proprietor is a business choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">