• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a registration form a legally binding contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saradutoit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

About a month ago, I signed my daughter up for a ballet class by signing a "Dance Registration Form" that states "By registering for these classes, you are accepting responsibility for the full tuition amount, regardless of attendance." The rest of the form details the tuition amount, payment options, and gives the days and time of the class.

I signed this form and paid the first tuition installment (20% of the total tuition amount) a month ago. My daughter attended the first 3 (out of 40) weeks of classes, and then we determined that taking dance this semester wasn't going to be feasible for numerous reasons having to do with our schedule and my daughter's lack of interest in being in the class. We would like to withdraw her from classes and discontinue payments, but the dance studio is insisting that the registration form we signed is a legally binding contract and that we must pay the remainder of the year's tuition, regardless of attendance, as the registration form indicates.

My questions: Is this registration form legally binding? Do we have recourse to change our minds (one month after signing) that allows us to avoid future payment since we will not be receiving services? Does the dance studio have recourse to collect on the unpaid amount if we either pay only part of what is still owed or none of it?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:

justalayman

It's impossible to accurately determine the full force and effect of any contract without reading it in its entirety but from what you posted it does appear you are obligated for
the entire period. It is not unusual for such terms in a contract where a person attending cannot just be replaced in the middle of the contract period. Your child was given one of a limited number of spaces and the school will lose the money for that space if you do not pay for the entire period. Is that fair to them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">