• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing my name from former employer's documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socal225

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm not sure if this is the right section, if it's not, please direct me to the right section.

I was formerly employed by a produce packing company in CA, while employed by them I created a food safety program. After parting ways for a better opportunity, I subsequently returned as a consultant. Eventually I decided to stop providing my services because their lack of commitment to food safety was to significant, I didn't want my name associated with a company that lacks integrity when it comes to food safety. My question is, can my name be removed from the documents I created while employed by them if I do so request it?

Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
*CAN* they be? Probably (with few exceptions.)

*MUST* they be simply upon your request? No, there is no legal requirement for that.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm not sure if this is the right section, if it's not, please direct me to the right section.

I was formerly employed by a produce packing company in CA, while employed by them I created a food safety program. After parting ways for a better opportunity, I subsequently returned as a consultant. Eventually I decided to stop providing my services because their lack of commitment to food safety was to significant, I didn't want my name associated with a company that lacks integrity when it comes to food safety. My question is, can my name be removed from the documents I created while employed by them if I do so request it?

Thanks in advance.
If you created the documents, there is little you can do to "un-create" them. Like Zigner said, though, you could always approach the company and request the redaction of your name from company documents. The company would not be under any legal obligation to do so.

Going forward, however, you can prevent your name from being connected with the company in any public promotional material, if you are no longer associated with the company. To be connected with a company that, in your words, "lacks commitment to food safety" could potentially affect your reputation in the food safety field (it that is the field you are in - you didn't make it real clear what you do).

socal225

*CAN* they be? Probably (with few exceptions.)

*MUST* they be simply upon your request? No, there is no legal requirement for that.
For document control purposes, my name was on the header of each page (of the 410 page manual) as being the author of the manual. By first-hand experience and witnessing their lack of compliance, I am afraid that if God forbids someone becomes ill as a result of their negligence towards food safety, they will alter the manual and point the finger at me.

I wanted to remove my name from the program altogether but I guess that is not a definite option. Would you recommend that I e-mail them a password-protected manual to prevent unauthorized editing and archive said e-mail for my records?

socal225

If you created the documents, there is little you can do to "un-create" them. Like Zigner said, though, you could always approach the company and request the redaction of your name from company documents. The company would not be under any legal obligation to do so.

Going forward, however, you can prevent your name from being connected with the company in any public promotional material, if you are no longer associated with the company. To be connected with a company that, in your words, "lacks commitment to food safety" could potentially affect your reputation in the food safety field (it that is the field you are in - you didn't make it real clear what you do).
My apologies. Yes, I am in the food safety field.

Thank you for you reply, it was very helpful.

Zigner

For document control purposes, my name was on the header of each page (of the 410 page manual) as being the author of the manual. By first-hand experience and witnessing their lack of compliance, I am afraid that if God forbids someone becomes ill as a result of their negligence towards food safety, they will alter the manual and point the finger at me.

I wanted to remove my name from the program altogether but I guess that is not a definite option. Would you recommend that I e-mail them a password-protected manual to prevent unauthorized editing and archive said e-mail for my records?
If you suspect they will alter the manual, then why does it matter in the first place? What makes you think they would abide by your request if if they say they will?

quincy

You created the manual. Do you have a copy of the manual in its original form?

If there is unauthorized editing of its content, then you (potentially) have legal grounds to have your name removed from the edited versions.

You can review all facts with an attorney in your area, to see what options are available to you right now (if any).

socal225

If you suspect they will alter the manual, then why does it matter in the first place? What makes you think they would abide by your request if if they say they will?
True. Should I send them a password-protected manual via e-mail? Do you think that would protect me in some way?

socal225

You created the manual. Do you have a copy of the manual in its original form?

If there is unauthorized editing of its content, then you (potentially) have legal grounds to have your name removed from the edited versions.

You can review all facts with an attorney in your area, to see what options are available to you right now (if any).
Well the documents were never protected against unintentional editing while I was employed. I do not suspect they will edit it at the present time unless they feel the need for it in the future e.g. to protect themselves.

Zigner

True. Should I send them a password-protected manual via e-mail? Do you think that would protect me in some way?
Will it matter? It sounds like they already have the unprotected version.

See, here's the problem...
If they are dishonest and unethical, then they are dishonest and unethical.

socal225

Will it matter? It sounds like they already have the unprotected version.

See, here's the problem...
If they are dishonest and unethical, then they are dishonest and unethical.
I guess my purpose would be that if something were to happen I can say, "hey, I sent them the latest protected version on _________ and any other version that was unprotected, is not a valid one" Here is my e-mil as proof". I can be specific on the e-mail to advise them of this new version being the valid one, and request that the older version be discarded. Does that make sense?

Zigner

I guess my purpose would be that if something were to happen I can say, "hey, I sent them the latest protected version on _________ and any other version that was unprotected, is not a valid one" Here is my e-mil as proof". I can be specific on the e-mail to advise them of this new version being the valid one, and request that the older version be discarded. Does that make sense?
Yes, and no.
You are no longer an employee, nor are you a consultant. You have severed ties with their company. Why would (or should) they accept a replacement version that you present?

quincy

You are no longer employed by the company and you are no longer connected to the company. You have the date (I assume) of the manual's creation and the dates of your employment. This should be all you need to protect yourself.

The defendant in any suit filed by an employee will be the company and not the author of a manual created and published in whatever year, even if the manual is still in use by the company.

The company is perfectly within their rights to update the manual as they see fit, and they should be doing this whenever laws change or whenever safety issues warrant. But you are within your rights to demand that your name not be connected to any manual you authored if that manual has significant changes made to the content and these changes were not authorized by you and are not of your making.

I think you are probably worrying needlessly about lawsuits (you would be an unlikely target) but, if you want your name removed from edited versions of the manual, directly request this of the company. If the company does not voluntarily redact your name from edited versions, have an attorney send them a letter requesting the removal/redaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">