• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requesting to see signed contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laka

I am in Canada, but this question should be fairly generic I'm assuming.

My previous employer is telling me that I had signed a confidentiality/non-competition agreement with them 4 years ago, which I do not recall doing. Is it my right to request to have them provide me with a signed copy? They are refusing to do so, only providing me with a blank generic copy.
Thanks

antrc170

Although it seems generic, Canadaian law can differ substatially from the US. As far as US law goes if you leave and go to work for a competitor then your former employer is going to bear the burden of showing proof that you signed the noncompete.

Mass_Shyster

It appears that in the United States, 18 states have laws permitting employees to review their employment files.

Maybe Canada is like one of those 18.

Maybe not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Although it seems generic, Canadaian law can differ substatially from the US. As far as US law goes if you leave and go to work for a competitor then your former employer is going to bear the burden of showing proof that you signed the noncompete.
And, to carry it further, some jurisdictions in the United States hold non-compete agreements to be void, by statute.

justalayman

I guess it isn't as generic a first thought, eh?

due to all the inquiries from Canada and the apparent belief by the poster our laws somehow apply to them, I think we (the US) should annex Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">