• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salon booth renter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

douglassaunders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I own a salon in California and one of the girls pays a booth rent. She has sent me an email notifying me that she quit (the day of the e-mail). She then came in to the salon after hours (same day) and collected her stuff and removed business contracts from the business file (I contract weddings). She says because the contracts have her signature on them they are hers. She acquired these contracts while answering my business phone not her own business line. All of the contracts have my business name and info on them. I was also notified by one of the contract clients that I was being requested and she made an excuse to why only she could do it to gain the business. She also claims that she has the right to the premise for the rest of the month (2 weeks) because she paid rent (Is this true since she quit without a two week notice). On top of that she says if I change the locks she can sue me?? (For what?) I hope this is a pretty clear question.
Thank you for your time

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I own a salon in California and one of the girls pays a booth rent. She has sent me an email notifying me that she quit (the day of the e-mail). She then came in to the salon after hours (same day) and collected her stuff and removed business contracts from the business file (I contract weddings). She says because the contracts have her signature on them they are hers. She acquired these contracts while answering my business phone not her own business line. All of the contracts have my business name and info on them. I was also notified by one of the contract clients that I was being requested and she made an excuse to why only she could do it to gain the business. She also claims that she has the right to the premise for the rest of the month (2 weeks) because she paid rent (Is this true since she quit without a two week notice). On top of that she says if I change the locks she can sue me?? (For what?) I hope this is a pretty clear question.
Thank you for your time
What does the contract that you have with the woman say about who owns the client list?

If the woman has paid booth rental through the end of the month, it appears to me that she is legally entitled to use of the booth through the end of the month - or she is entitled to a refund of rent. It also appears that her email to you was essentially a two week notice. Whether this notice is adequate depends on the wording of the contract you have with the woman.

You can have the facts reviewed by an attorney in your area, starting with a personal review of the contract between you and the woman.

tranquility

If we were to sit around and imagine causes of action, there are certainly possibilities. But, there is no way you will find an attorney who could prosecute them for the damages you could be theoretically talk about.

Believe me, thank her for the time she was there and move on.

quincy

If we were to sit around and imagine causes of action, there are certainly possibilities. But, there is no way you will find an attorney who could prosecute them for the damages you could be theoretically talk about.

Believe me, thank her for the time she was there and move on.
If there was a non-compete clause in the contract, or a clause regarding client lists belonging to the salon, there could be damages enough to support a suit against the salon worker.

But a review of the contract is necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">