• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking a refund for services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdwilliams

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Oklahoma

I purchased 2,500 dollars up front (Oct 30th 2012) of a contract lasting through June 2013. I did not sign anywhere saying that there is no refund if I chose to cancel or anything similar to it. I requested for the services to end 1 month after purchasing (Aprox Nov 30th) and for a refund of the difference. He said at first OK but it will take a bit to process. Now he is not responding to my emails at all. I'm guessing I should file small claims. However, how should I know how much money to ask for. Should I just go for the exact difference? or ask for more since he has caused so much trouble? Or, should I take an entirely different route altogether?

Thanks.

tranquility

If you had a "contract" for services until June 2013, why would you think you could cancel it? Just because there was not a specific clause saying no refunds does not mean you get to breach the contract at will.

justalayman

what makes you believe you can unilaterally cancel a contract let alone demand a refund of money paid? Unless there is a cancellation clause or you have a legal right to attempt to cancel for some legal reason, not only are you bound to the contract but the other party would likely have a suit against you for his earnings due to the contract.

So, is there any means to cancel the contract within the contract?

jdwilliams

To be clear. He is no longer performing the services, however he was paid in full through June 2013. He in fact has gained more time to do what he pleases in place of serving me. With that in mind, am I still entitled to nothing?

jdwilliams

I don't expect a refund for the month of services I did receive. However, he was paid to continue to give me services through June 2013. So I was seeking a refund for the services I did not and have not received yet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You canceled the contract unilaterally. Why do you think you're entitled to a refund?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">