• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a car to a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snicolek

Minor buying a Car

I live in Wisconsin. I'm 17. Can I legally purchase a car from a small dealership without any adult interference?

To clarify: I live with my mother, but work and pay for everything I need and own. In the past she has taken money from my bank account and stolen things that I have bought -for her own personal use. (I now have my own account, and she has not tried to access it.) If at all possible, I do not want to involve her in buying my car. With her, it is "out of sight, out of mind". If she isn't involved in purchasing the car, I highly doubt she would consider driving or selling it. (She is not financially or legally savvy.)

That being said, can I buy a car, as a minor, without an adult?
I'd appreciate any feedback you could give. If you need any other information please ask.

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I doubt you would find a dealer who would sell you a car. How long until you're 18?

Most states do not allow a minor to be enjoined in contracts, meaning, unless you're paying cash for it, then you cannot enter into a contractual agreement. Google your states laws regarding this.

You Are Guilty

Most states do not allow a minor to be enjoined in contracts, meaning, unless you're paying cash for it, then you cannot enter into a contractual agreement. Google your states laws regarding this.
What? This makes zero sense.

A minor can enter into a contract in any state of the union. Google "voidable". If the dealer will sell, the minor can buy.

Derived from: Wisconsin Legal Ages Laws - WI Legal Ages Laws - State Laws, Codes

Wisconsin Legal Ages Laws

More Information on Minors and the Law
Age of Majority 18 (§990.01(3))
Eligibility for Emancipation By marriage unless incompetent (880.04(1))
Contracts by Minors Valid only for necessaries; necessaries contracts not valid if no implied or express provision for payment exists; contract made by infant may be ratified by acts or words after reaching age of majority (common law)
Minors' Ability to Sue By guardian or guardian ad litem (803.01(3))
Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment Not specified

Makes perfect sense. I'm not here to educate you though. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Derived from: Wisconsin Legal Ages Laws - WI Legal Ages Laws - State Laws, Codes

Wisconsin Legal Ages Laws

More Information on Minors and the Law
Age of Majority 18 (§990.01(3))
Eligibility for Emancipation By marriage unless incompetent (880.04(1))
Contracts by Minors Valid only for necessaries; necessaries contracts not valid if no implied or express provision for payment exists; contract made by infant may be ratified by acts or words after reaching age of majority (common law)
Minors' Ability to Sue By guardian or guardian ad litem (803.01(3))
Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment Not specified

Makes perfect sense. I'm not here to educate you though. ;)
So, please point out where it says a minor cannot enter in to a contract. I'll wait.

Now that I'm all fat, full and finished cooking, I had time to think about what I posted earlier. I suppose if this young man can find someone that would enter into a contract with him, then yes, you are correct, he can enter into the contract.

Anyone younger than 18 years of age cannot be held to the terms and conditions of that contract, allowing the minor to void that contract without penalty.

So yes, you can enter into the contract. Is it worth anything? No.

Pay cash for the car and it's legally yours. No worries about missing a payment and someone coming and taking it from you, and you losing the money you would have invested in it.

The answer is yes, you can buy a car if you can find a dealer who will sell you one.

The issue is a purchase agreement for a vehicle is a contract, and a minor cannot be held to a contract. Once you turn 18, the dealer won't have anything to worry about, but until then, you could change your mind and force them to return your money and take the car back. Most auto dealers know this, and that will be the struggle for you.

snicolek

So, assuming that I successfully find a dealer who will sell me a car...
I have another question. Can I register the car in my name?

Thanks for your time everyone. --I really appreciate it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">