• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Setting dollar limits and duration in indemnification clause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmonte

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
I am buying some intangible assets from another company for a set number of membership units in my LLC. The assets include a website domain along with all the content on the website. I have an indemnification clause to protect against any breach in the reps and warrants section. I want to make sure the seller owns the assets "free and clear." Since the seller is in the best position to assess the risk of loss from using the assets, I am asking for a personal guarantee equal to 10 times the amount of the purchase price (specified in membership units) for 5 years. He says this is unreasonable. He wants a cap equal to the purchase price. Since my liability isn't capped, why should I agree to cap his? What's customary and reasonable?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">