• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing a lease without beeing authorized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

werner69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Our ex General Manager of a Golf course signed a lease for Phone equipment last year.

He was never authorized to sign it.

Is there any way to terminate it. Maybe just don´t pay the rates any longer?

Doesn´t the Lease company (Great American Leasing) have to make sure he is authorized?

All othere leases needed the owner to co sign.

Hope anyone knows the answer

Silverplum

Our ex General Manager of a Golf course signed a lease for Phone equipment last year.

Doesn´t the Lease company (Great American Leasing) have to make sure he is authorized?

Who's higher in command than the General Manager? What job title does that person hold?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is entirely reasonable to assume that the General Manager of a business is authorized to lease business equipment on behalf of the company.

latigo

You might know the answer once having done some research on the law of agency under express and apparent authority.

werner69

well I would think that the owner has to sign.

The GM was told to get authorization for everything. Of course the bank doesn´t know. But still I would guess that a lease has to be cosigned by the owner.

So if we stop paying.... can they get after him or after the company?

Zigner

The GM was told to get authorization for everything. Of course the bank doesn´t know. But still I would guess that a lease has to be cosigned by the owner.

Of course you would - you want to get out of it.

Yes, they can come after the company and likely him too (if he personally guaranteed it)

tranquility

They can go after the company on the theory of agency. At the very least, the GM would look like he is acting for the company.

The company, if the GM clearly did not have the authority, could go after the GM. But, the facts would have to be pretty clear in a situation like this. It would almost have to be he was specifically denied the power rather than a more nebulous that he was not given the power to do the act.

werner69

He was told that he is not allowed to purchase anything more than $ 1,000.00 without getting it approved by the owner.

I do not know if the leasing company has to check on who the owner is.

It is just a lease for the Telephones. It is 280/month x 60 = 16800

A lot for 5 phones....

but as Ron white says.... you can´t fix stupid

Zigner

He was told that he is not allowed to purchase anything more than $ 1,000.00 without getting it approved by the owner.

I do not know if the leasing company has to check on who the owner is.

It is just a lease for the Telephones. It is 280/month x 60 = 16800

A lot for 5 phones....

but as Ron white says.... you can´t fix stupid
It could be seen as a (recurring) $280 purchase which is well within his signatory authority.

The equipment provider is not going to eat this one.

j_doyle

The Owner is not always a logical choice

Stockholders are the owners of a company. It is not reasonable to expect the phone provider to do the research required to track down, and get all the signatures of every stockholder for a $ 280 a month bill.

justalayman

You have no argument to terminate the contract now. Even if you were able to based on the gm not having the authority to bind the company, continuing the service for the time you have has removed any chance of winning based on that argument. Allowing the service to run for the time it has without question proves that he did have the authority or the person with authority ratified the gm's acceptance by failing to act.

justalayman

On top of that, I see he was not allowed to purchase anything above $1000. No idea why you think that applies as he has not purchased anything. He entered into a lease which is not a purchase of anything.

Zigner

On top of that, I see he was not allowed to purchase anything above $1000. No idea why you think that applies as he has not purchased anything. He entered into a lease which is not a purchase of anything.
I agree. Even if you interpret it as he's not allowed to incur any expense on behalf of the company over $1,000, the way I see it (as mentioned above) is that the GM signed for a recurring $280 expense, well under the $1,000 limit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">