• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Silent Partners and Corporations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BookGirl09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Can a corporation have a silent partner? How would that work?

BookGirl09

Clarification

Based on the responses, I'm guessing the question wasn't clear enough. A silent partner is someone who invests money in a business venture, but prefers to share the gain or loss anonymously and does not participate in the actual operation of the business. My question is how this kind of setup would work in conjunction with securities laws that govern corporations. If a primary investor would like to be a silent partner, anonymously sharing in the profits and risks of the venture, should the business refrain from incorporating? If such a business already is incorporated, can such a partnership be formed?

It may be surprising to hear, but some people outside of schools aim to learn about new things. I'm just trying to understand how these businesses run.

Antigone*

Based on the responses, I'm guessing the question wasn't clear enough. A silent partner is someone who invests money in a business venture, but prefers to share the gain or loss anonymously and does not participate in the actual operation of the business. My question is how this kind of setup would work in conjunction with securities laws that govern corporations. If a primary investor would like to be a silent partner, anonymously sharing in the profits and risks of the venture, should the business refrain from incorporating? If such a business already is incorporated, can such a partnership be formed?

It may be surprising to hear, but some people outside of schools aim to learn about new things. I'm just trying to understand how these businesses run.
There is nothing anonymous about being a silent partner. If you are trying to understand how these businesses are run, then you really need to do a lot of research. Asking a vague question on the internet doesn't count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">