• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small local business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skankaholic

My ex girlfriend and I opened a local company in Orlando, Fl. I own 51% and she 49%. In short, we broke up and could not agree on a $$ amount to buy her 49% so I could take the company at 100%. Months have gone by and I noticed on sunbiz.org that she did a disassociation or resignation from the company with the state and stepped down as VP. my question is this: by her doing that, did she forfeit her 49% as a share holder? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Wanted to add: she is no longer listed as a member/owner of the company per state records.

Last edited:

latigo

My ex girlfriend and I opened a local company in Orlando, Fl. I own 51% and she 49%. In short, we broke up and could not agree on a $$ amount to buy her 49% so I could take the company at 100%. Months have gone by and I noticed on sunbiz.org that she did a disassociation or resignation from the company with the state and stepped down as VP. my question is this: by her doing that, did she forfeit her 49% as a share holder? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Wanted to add: she is no longer listed as a member/owner of the company per state records.
Wishful, naïve thinking on your part. But the answers is no. Curiously though:

Do you honestly believe that the state of Florida maintains current records of the ownership of the zillions of businesses operating within the state, big or small?

Or that to resign/dissociate as an officer/director/employee/member of a state regulated business/company that it must be done "with" the state?

Or that by "stepping down" as an officer/director/employee/member of such a company/business that the individual's vested property rights are automatically forfeited? And if so, to whom?

Have you ever read the Florida statutes that regulate business organizations? You will find them in Title XXXIV Chapter 607 of the Florida Statutes.

Skankaholic

Wishful, naïve thinking on your part. But the answers is no. Curiously though:

Do you honestly believe that the state of Florida maintains current records of the ownership of the zillions of businesses operating within the state, big or small?

Or that to resign/dissociate as an officer/director/employee/member of a state regulated business/company that it must be done "with" the state?

Or that by "stepping down" as an officer/director/employee/member of such a company/business that the individual's vested property rights are automatically forfeited? And if so, to whom?

Have you ever read the Florida statutes that regulate business organizations? You will find them in Title XXXIV Chapter 607 of the Florida Statutes.
Thank you "Tranquility" for a direct mature response! Step down off your soapbox "Latigo" your overrated response makes you look like an idiot with to much time on your hands that's taking it personally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">