• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Song Writing Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tabrina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

Hello, My name is Tabrina and I'm a /singer/songwriter in New York. About a year ago I hooked up with this producer whom I've known and recorded with sometime ago, and he now wants to be an producer/artist.

Because of my previous dealings with him, he's asked me to write several songs for him to complete his album and soundtrack to new film he's producing. Now as a writer I usually write the entire song from start to finish, but with this project he's only asked that I write all of his verses and as he'll be coming up with the title, hook etc.

Several songs on the albums includes well known artists in which on these occasion I've written his verse as well as a verse for myself .

So far I've written 18 verses for him, which all have been copy written by me before turning them over to him. Although this is not my first writing gig, it is however the first one in which I'm working with known artist.

My question is how do I go about getting neogiating a songwriters contract with him, and what should my percentage be as the author of all his verses. Should I charge him a flat fee for X amount of songs, or require a percentage for all of the songs, and what should that percent be if I write a verse for him in which a known artist appears on the track?

I don't want to be greedy but at the same time, I'd hate to think I was taking advantage of AGAIN....

Hope you can help

Tabrina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">