• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued for NDA violation/breach of contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

infairverona

Texas/Virginia

I'm being sued by a company I worked for as a work from home independent contractor. Basically they said I violated my NDA and are suing me for about $40,000. My average hourly wage with this company, working less than a year, was $8-$10. The process server has been harassing my parents house where I lived as I worked (in Texas), and evidently they are convinced that I still must be living there or in the area. However, I currently live out of state. The server dropped the papers in my parents' yard, so I am assuming I'm now served. My issue is this: I have no money and don't currently work. I also have no assets. I'm pregnant and live with my husband, and when this issue occurred, I was not yet married. I don't see what's worth in paying a lawyer for a case where they cannot get anything from me. I have been told by a lawyer that pretty much the worst thing that can happen is my credit is affected. Is this correct? If so, why should I hire a lawyer to even send in an answer within the 20 days? Also, wasn't this an improper service? I would love some advice. Thanks in advance!

justalayman

Also, wasn't this an improper service?
can't say. It could be if the situation surrounding the service allows for such but then again, depending on the facts, it might not be.

Your wage is irrelevant. They sue for damages. You can damage a company well above your wages by disclosing confidential information.

I don't see what's worth in paying a lawyer for a case where they cannot get anything from me.
what will you have in 10 years? 20 years? That's a long time to consider when you say they can't get anything from you. On top of being able to chase you for the money for that time, it will be on your credit report where it will reduce your score and inhibit the granting of credit as well as the interest rate you will pay.

quincy

Texas/Virginia

I'm being sued by a company I worked for as a work from home independent contractor. Basically they said I violated my NDA and are suing me for about $40,000. My average hourly wage with this company, working less than a year, was $8-$10. The process server has been harassing my parents house where I lived as I worked (in Texas), and evidently they are convinced that I still must be living there or in the area. However, I currently live out of state. The server dropped the papers in my parents' yard, so I am assuming I'm now served. My issue is this: I have no money and don't currently work. I also have no assets. I'm pregnant and live with my husband, and when this issue occurred, I was not yet married. I don't see what's worth in paying a lawyer for a case where they cannot get anything from me. I have been told by a lawyer that pretty much the worst thing that can happen is my credit is affected. Is this correct? If so, why should I hire a lawyer to even send in an answer within the 20 days? Also, wasn't this an improper service? I would love some advice. Thanks in advance!
You should never ignore a lawsuit filed against you. How you respond in your answer to the complaint, however, depends on the facts - which are best reviewed by an attorney in your area. The $40,000 is a significant amount of money to "give away" in a possible default judgment should you do nothing - especially if you do not believe you violated any terms of the agreement you signed.

Here is a link to Texas Law Help Organization on giving legal notice and service: http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/legal-notice

I do not understand what you mean by your statement, "by their outlining of the NDA." You have a copy of the non-disclosure agreement you signed, correct? What is it that the company is saying you disclosed to others, in violation of the agreement, that you are saying you didn't?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">