• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surely this is illegal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cavemanphoenix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX.
I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right section.
It's a bit of a long story but I really need clarity on the subject. About a month ago my roommate's, girlfriend's folks start bugging me about switching electric companies. For every account they switch to their company they get some commission. I had met them a few times and they seemed legit so I agreed to send a previous bill with the girlfriend so that they could compare the rates. I agreed upon nothing else. I never heard another thing about it until I opened my mailbox yesterday and find a letter from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas. The letter said my electric provider had been switched and they were making sure I authorized this. No, I did not authorize this. So I make three different calls to three different companies and finally I learn that the account was switched without my authorization by the GFs father, and he used his SS#. The electric company said "This is pretty much unheard of. Although it is not illegal we'll conduct a twofold investigation on it". I know this isn't right but is it legal? Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">