• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terms of Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diemuzi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I've been working for this company for almost 6 years now and they want me to sign a document called "Terms of Employment". Everything in the document works for me except this part:

"All internal and external information, as well as all related data such as customer or vendor information are strictly confidential and must not be carried out of the company. The Employee is bound to keep any such information and data confidential at all times during an active working relationship and for three years after the work engagement has been terminated by either side."

This is a webhosting company and for more then 9 years I've been actively working on software as a hobby but would like to pursue this as a business myself in the near future. Once I leave the company/get fired does this stop me?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

I've been working for this company for almost 6 years now and they want me to sign a document called "Terms of Employment". Everything in the document works for me except this part:

"All internal and external information, as well as all related data such as customer or vendor information are strictly confidential and must not be carried out of the company. The Employee is bound to keep any such information and data confidential at all times during an active working relationship and for three years after the work engagement has been terminated by either side."

This is a webhosting company and for more then 9 years I've been actively working on software as a hobby but would like to pursue this as a business myself in the near future. Once I leave the company/get fired does this stop me?
**A: a very pooly written clause to say the least.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This sounds to me like a non-disclosure, not a non-compete. There's a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">