• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a scam here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdawg73

Hi! I'm trying to sell a large farm tractor. I put an ad on the internet on a midwest farm classified site. I received several responses, including this one:

Hello,
My name is Danny i saw your advert placement of your (ad) which am interesting in purchasing it.. I want you to answer all the following question before below :
1)Why do you want to sell it
2)For how long do you have it
3)Is it well okay or what' i mean the present condition.
4)And i will like to have the recent pictures of it .
5)And your LAST ASKING PRICE please get back to me.And i want you to understand that my mode of payment lays on certified cashier's check and i will be handle the pick up....
Thanks
I replied with the requested information and overnight received this response:

-------
Hello,
I am okay with your responses and price which is $2300 . I love to have the (1952 John Deere) as soon as possible thats why i suggest to proceed on purchasing it.
The (1952 John Deere) will be transported to my destination by my cargo agent who will be coming to your location for the collection soon after sale and payment which is in form of a U.S certified cashier's check. Also i want you to know that you will be receiving a Certified cashier's check of $7,500 that will sent to you from my Client in U.S who is owing me this amount.After the certified cashier's check has been cashed i want you to Transfer the remaining excess funds to my Shipping Company who will be coming over for the Pick up.
He has agreed to issue out the funds to you since am purchasing from you... I am Compesating you with the Sum of $100 for the little stress you will be going through in the transaction, his now make your total income to be $2400.So If this is Okay by you i want you to provide me with the Following Informations Which of course i will forward to my Client so that Payment will be Issued :
NAME: ******************************************.
ADDRESS:******************************************
CITY: ********************************************************..
STATE:********************************************************
COUNTRY:********************************************************
ZIP CODE:******************************************......
PHONE NUMBER:****************************.....(HOME,CELL AND WORK).
Arrangements as to how and when it will be picked-up from your location will be made known to you by my shipping agency who is presently making concrete arrangements for the transportation .Hope i can trust you with the transactions to fore see that the purchased of your (1952 John Deere) with registered with the shipping company effectively.
Looking forward to your soonest reply and details soon.
Thanks
-----

Now my "weirdness" detector is beeping like mad. It looks like a form letter and the requirement that I pay the shipping company, with money he sends me, seems strange to me. Is this a common way to do a transaction with something so large? My desire to sell this tractor is conflicting with my feeling that this doesn't feel right.

If I do go forward with this, what should I request? Should I ask for contact info for his "client"? For the shipping company? Or is this the oldest scam in the book and I should run like hell???? :confused:

thanks so much!
jdawg

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Scam, scam, scam, SCAM!! In fact, it's a pretty common one.

People have even been told by their banks that the cashiers check is "good", only to be told later "Ooops, no it's not." By the time the funny money is removed from their account, the scammer is long gone with the victim's money.

Run.

Good for you, by the way, for being suspicious and checking it out. You'd be astounded to learn how many people fall victim to this. Or, more accurately, fall victim to their own greed and stupidity.

Last edited:

racer72

If you get the fake cashier's check, wait a few days then email him back and tell him the FBI has contacted you about a fake cashier's check and that you gave them his info. I will guarantee you will not hear from the person again, you may scare the person enough to quit pulling this kind of stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">