• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tort law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

need4gr8boss

What steps have to be taken for a company to fire a independent contractor that it has a contract with?
I'm asking this on behalf of my employer. He was contracted by a prime company to do work for another company but half-way through the project, the project manager held up pay and told him that other work had to be done before the main work could continue. As he was fixing all the problems that were going on with the project more pay was held up, then finally, when my employer asked the project manager if one of the sub-contractors that were working under my employer was now working for the prime company he was fired and then told yes. Does he have any recourse to fix this issue, and can the tort law be used? This is a long story-short, there are more details that he would be able to fill in if we can get a lawyer to give him a place to start.

quincy

What steps have to be taken for a company to fire a independent contractor that it has a contract with?
I'm asking this on behalf of my employer. He was contracted by a prime company to do work for another company but half-way through the project, the project manager held up pay and told him that other work had to be done before the main work could continue. As he was fixing all the problems that were going on with the project more pay was held up, then finally, when my employer asked the project manager if one of the sub-contractors that were working under my employer was now working for the prime company he was fired and then told yes. Does he have any recourse to fix this issue, and can the tort law be used? This is a long story-short, there are more details that he would be able to fill in if we can get a lawyer to give him a place to start.
What is the name of your state?

Your employer can contact that state's State Bar Association to find an attorney in his area who can help him.

Tort law is the branch of law dealing with civil wrongs other than breach of contract actions.

need4gr8boss

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Your employer can contact that state's State Bar Association to find an attorney in his area who can help him.

Tort law is a civil wrong that does not include breach of contract actions.

WOULD THIS BE A BREECH OF CONTRACT?

OHRoadwarrior

We have no idea. You have not presented anywhere near enough facts to make such an assessment. Consult a local contract lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">