• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlicensed out-of-state contractor in AL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
I have been dealing with a contractor (he calls himself a general contractor) from out of state here in Alabama. He has almost destroyed my house and is demanding more money. I refused to pay and he threatens to sue. What is the AL law on unlicensed, uninsured "contractors"? The contract amount is over $10K but less than the $50K minimum in AL for "general contractors". I am considering filing a report with the police for destruction of property, filing complaints with the state and local governments concerning the lack of a license, and filing civil charges for return of the money I paid. He also put new locks on the doors and did not provide a key to the owner, in effect locking them out of the house unless they pay a locksmith. Comments please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">