• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unregistered Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State is Kansas.

Hello, I have found out through the state office that a business I have regrettably made a contract with is not actually registered in the state.

Questions:

Will that void the contract?

Can any legal action be taken if the contract agreements have not been fulfilled?

Can the business keep my property if they claim the bill has not been paid in full?

Thanks everyone.

justalayman

harperhawk;3079908]State is Kansas.

Hello, I have found out through the state office that a business I have regrettably made a contract with is not actually registered in the state.

Questions
:

Will that void the contract?
in itself, no

Can any legal action be taken if the contract agreements have not been fulfilled?
probably

Can the business keep my property if they claim the bill has not been paid in full?
maybe

If you care to share a bit more info, your questions might actually be able to be answered in a fashion that would do you some good. Care to explain the situation a bit?

thank you. i contracted someone to do work on my vehicle. what other info would help. payment has already been made in full. the person continues to make excuses on why he has not finished the project. project started on 5/18/12. thanks

Last edited:
hello, and thank you as well. this "business" is not a corporation or LLC. I have validated this by the state office.

xylene

"Shadetree" is just a maple then...

Why do you feel that the business needs to be "registered" with the state?
Kansas requires that all auto mechanics offering or performing repairs as a trade, to the general public, register with the state and conform with a variety of regulations.

This is quite common in most states.
I am not sure why you are surprised by this, or are you jut goading the op for being so obtuse?

I really don't have a good answer to the op's question given his opacity about the issues in his contract, but he is not making up that requirement for auto mechanics in KS.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kansas requires that all auto mechanics offering or performing repairs as a trade, to the general public, register with the state and conform with a variety of regulations.

This is quite common in most states.
I am not sure why you are surprised by this, or are you jut goading the op for being so obtuse?

I really don't have a good answer to the op's question given his opacity about the issues in his contract, but he is not making up that requirement for auto mechanics in KS.
Yes I agree, and yes, I wasn't thinking along this lines with my prior questions. However, the OP's problem seems to be that the business isn't registered as an LLC or a Corp, not that it's not registered with the folks who oversee automotive businesses. Those are different departments. I think the "opacity" that you mention threw me off.

tranquility

http://kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/statute/

I'm not finding it. Can someone help me?

ecmst12

Don't get bogged down in silly things like registration. Now, you might want to check out whether they are LICENSED. But even that is not so important. The important part is you gave them money and they haven't completed the work. Get your car back, take it to a COMPETENT mechanic to complete the work, and sue the first guy in small claims court for the return of your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">