• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Use of blamk line in contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

menchari

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

This is a question on a form contract with individual sections that are to be signed off on. One part consists of a blank line that anything could be written on by the other party at a later date after it had been signed off on. Is this allowed or not? Do you know what law(s) allow or prevent this practice?
And no I didn't sign off on the blank line.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no law against this. Presumably, your copy of the contract would have the line blank, so if the other party filled something in at a later date you would have proof that you didn't agree to it.

The proper (smart) thing to do would be to insert something indicating that the line is being left blank on purpose (ie: Write N/A on the line)

HomeGuru

This is a question on a form contract with individual sections that are to be signed off on. One part consists of a blank line that anything could be written on by the other party at a later date after it had been signed off on. Is this allowed or not? Do you know what law(s) allow or prevent this practice?

Thanks
**A: sorry, I am drawing a blank. Line.

racer72

justalayman

Thanks

well, hopefully you have a copy of the contract showing the blank line. Other than that, when faced with such a situation, draw a line through the space.

If you did neither, then if the other party is not trustworthy then yes, you may have an issue. If something is written into the space and the other party attempts to enforce that part of the contract, you will have to attempt to defeat their claim is it part of the contract. Might be tough to do.

btw: all form contracts have blank lines on them. That is the intentional design of the form. It would be a bit unusable if you could not put needed information into the contract, don't ya think?

menchari

The N/A or line through it plus not signing off on it sounds like a valid aproach.
So far on two occasions I have not signed off on the blank line.
And yes the other party is dishonest and verifiably so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">