• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

using manufacturers equipment in a video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DFir

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine/Massachusetts

I am getting ready to make some training videos for sale and I have 2 questions regarding this.

1. I need to use someones home, specifically the kitchen, to use equipment for the training video. What, if any, permission do I need from/with the individual who owns the home. It is more than likely going to be a home under construction, so it may be that it is owned by a builder and I may have access to a few who wouldn't mind. Problem is this video may reach hundreds if not thousands of people (hopefully at least). I obviously am going to ask for permission, but is there anything I should be aware of that could lead to something down the road I want to protect myself from?

2. The equipment used is specific and only one company has this equipment. Same question really applies. Do I need permission from this manufacturer? or can I blot out the name of the equipment and get by with that? This equipment will be in all of the videos and it may be that I can't get around the name problem. This is being targeted very specifically to a group of people who know which equipment this is and will be advertised as such, i.e. "complete training on the *******" otherwise, it's kind of pointless for me to do the training videos.

Roo

Have you contacted the manufacturer? Having their approval could prove beneficial to your project even if it's not legally required.
I don't know what's required from a legal standpoint, but if they're the sole manufacturers and they nix your video there's not much point in moving forward.

DFir

...but if they're the sole manufacturers and they nix your video there's not much point in moving forward.
that's my point. I've seen plenty of training videos on software "how to's" using programs that are obviously not made by people on the training video, so I was wondering if there's anything there that says you need permission, or contracts....something....

I'm thinking Adobe Photoshop for an example, there are clearly hundreds of video tutorials out there. Adobe doesn't seem to mind, but maybe they could possibly do something. Not sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">