• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vending contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trulytiffany

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

I signed a contract to vend at an event. The contract indicated we would have a 10x10 booth and what we ended up with was a 6 foot table with 2 chairs. I paid $150 for the "booth". I am asking for the half of the vending fee to be reimbursed but the organizer has denied my request. What legal recourse do I have?

Thanks
Tiffany

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I signed a contract to vend at an event. The contract indicated we would have a 10x10 booth and what we ended up with was a 6 foot table with 2 chairs. I paid $150 for the "booth". I am asking for the half of the vending fee to be reimbursed but the organizer has denied my request. What legal recourse do I have?

Thanks
Tiffany
Sue the bad guys in small claims court.

sandyclaus

Thanks
Tiffany
How much space did you have AROUND the 6 foot table and chairs?

Who provided the table and chairs?

(There's a reason why I'm asking.)

trulytiffany

How much space did you have AROUND the 6 foot table and chairs?

Who provided the table and chairs?

(There's a reason why I'm asking.)
They facility that she rented the space from provided the table and chairs. I'm not sure of the space I had around the table and chairs, maybe 3-4 feet on either side

LdiJ

They facility that she rented the space from provided the table and chairs. I'm not sure of the space I had around the table and chairs, maybe 3-4 feet on either side
Just to make it clear, when you rent booth space at an event all you get is the floor space. Its up to you to provide the "booth" to put into that space. Often, they don't even give you a table and chairs. There are some venues that will at least provide curtain type dividers between spaces, but even those are pretty rare. So next time you are interested in vending at an event, you need to ask what is included, before you sign the contract and pay the money.

justalayman

Thanks
Tiffany
I'm not sure of the space I had around the table and chairs, maybe 3-4 feet on either side
so, a 6 foot table with 3-4 feet on either side calculates out to 12-14 feet. Typical tables are about 30"-36". If you figure 3-4 feet on front or back, you have nearly 9' to up to 11'.

Not seeing a shortage of space being provided no matter how you look at it.

as to them providing a "booth", check your contract. If it required them to provide something not provided, base your complaint on that. As the others have said, a "booth" in such situations is generally just the floor space. You put whatever you want in the space provided.

trulytiffany

so, a 6 foot table with 3-4 feet on either side calculates out to 12-14 feet. Typical tables are about 30"-36". If you figure 3-4 feet on front or back, you have nearly 9' to up to 11'.

Not seeing a shortage of space being provided no matter how you look at it.

as to them providing a "booth", check your contract. If it required them to provide something not provided, base your complaint on that. As the others have said, a "booth" in such situations is generally just the floor space. You put whatever you want in the space provided.
The contract does not state a 10x10 booth space the contract states 10x10 booth. As a vendor I am setting up to bring my goodies based on a 10x10 booth being a structure. This is the first event where I had a table and chairs as a booth, typically a contract will state what you can bring to the event as an acceptable booth (tent, tent color, tent size). None of that information was in the contract so the 10x10 booth, not booth space, should have been provided by the organizer, yes?

Thanks for the information I really appreciate your responses. Thanks to everyone!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are asking for $75. It's a small claims matter. Even at that, is it really even worth your time/missed work? That is a serious question. This is business.

justalayman

The contract does not state a 10x10 booth space the contract states 10x10 booth. As a vendor I am setting up to bring my goodies based on a 10x10 booth being a structure. This is the first event where I had a table and chairs as a booth, typically a contract will state what you can bring to the event as an acceptable booth (tent, tent color, tent size). None of that information was in the contract so the 10x10 booth, not booth space, should have been provided by the organizer, yes?

Thanks for the information I really appreciate your responses. Thanks to everyone!

http://www.crawdaddays.org/assets/files/2013%20Vendor%20Booth%20Agreement%20Rules(1).pdf

and this contract states "booth" yet when you get into the specifics,
2013 Vendor Booth Agreement Rules & Regulations

A. $100.00 for 10 x 10 booth space for Saturday only in the event area. This price includes
standard electrical provision (please see #7 for electrical detail). Vendor provides tents, tables,
chairs, electrical cords, lights, etc.
B. $150.00 for 10 x 10 booth space for Friday & Saturday in the event area. This price
includes standard electrical provision (please see #7 for electrical detail). Vendor provides tents,
tables, chairs, electrical cords, lights, etc.

I looked through several contracts available online. None I read said anything about the venue supplying anything other than the possibility of electricity.

Of all the various venues I have been to that rented booth spaces, the only venue I recall providing anything regarding a division wall was an inside venue that was built specifically as a vendor booth platform. Even at that venue, the outside vendors booths consisted of a designated space marked with paint on the parking lot.

Just because it did not list what was allowed, it does not mean anything was provided. Simply put: if there was nothing in the contract describing them providing anything, one should not expect to be provided with anything. As with all contracts, if you are not clear on any particular issue in the contract, you ask for clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">