• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vendor holds employee responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knotez1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Florida

I picked up rental equipment for my employer and the vendor is attempting to hold me responsible for payment. The rental company is suing me instead of my employer. Initially the court directed the vendor and I to remediation, the vendor was extremely hostile and used vulgar language to both the mediator and myself, he refused to discuss anything.

I have three areas of question:

1. The vendor's rental agreement has a specific box containing his statement of financial responsibility and the signature line acknowledging that I understood and agreed. On none of the rental tickets did I sign in this box. I did place my signature adjacent to the equipment description, only acknowledging equipment type and agreed rental period as stated.
2. Some of the vendor provided rental agreements clearly were not signed by me, the signatures do not even remotely appear to be mine.
3. Some of the vendor agreement dates and ticket numbers are years apart and are so out of sequential order that those factors alone makes them hard to defend against.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How much money are we talking about here?

Why hasn't your company provided you with representation?

knotez1

Additional information

Equipment was returned in period as agreed.

Vendor is stating employer did not pay billing, thus making me responsible.

swalsh411

So let them sue you. (I doubt they will). Your defense is that you were acting on behalf of your employer and are not personally responsible for the bill.

I would also tell them to shove off but in more colorful language.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">