• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tejasherbie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am a photographer , and had a verbal agreement to shoot a wedding for
$ 250 dollars , with $ 100 of the $ 250 paid the day of the wedding.
I asked the bride to send me an invitation , or an email to verify the time and date of the wedding. This did not happen. So a couple days before , the bride and I had a telephone conversation , and I asked then what time to be there. The bride responded , " the people will start to show up at 3 p.m.". So I said , " I need to be there an hour early so I can set up my equipment , so I will be there at 2 p.m. "
Well when I got there , the wedding actually STARTED at 3 p.m. and after a walk around with the Church lady , I was told two things, 1. Since I was not a member of thier religion , I could not walk up by the couple during the ceremony , with only getting far away shots from the side and back , as the "sanctuary" was not permitted to be used by non members. 2. I would need to get my gear packed up immediately afterward , as a religious mass would start , and I wasnt to be there after the wedding. As I was deliberating how I was going to get the shots from far away , I noticed a photographer with a professional looking camera rig , already shooting the groomsmen. As I left to go outside , another photographer , with the same kind of camera outfit , was shooting the bridesmaids , in the hall , and posing them professionally. I asked the church rep. about this and she stated " there will be more photographers today."
I have enough trouble with amatuer camera flashes competing with mine, with various relatives shooting the same time I do , but have never had two photographers with professional equipment to compete with. I would have to literally wait my turn from afar , while they got the close up shots , as evidently they were members of the church.
So I went to the parking lot and determined that since the walkaround with the church rep. took around 15 minutes , I actually had a little over a half hour to set up my gear , and also would not be able to get church shots with the bridesmaids and groomsmen as the church rep. told me I would have to clear out soon after the service, due to thier mass.
So I called the bride on my phone from the parking lot , so not to make a scene in the church , and asked about the additional photographers , and her misinformation on the start of the wedding. I told her I would not compete with the other photographers , and that they needed to be called off. She didnt see it my way , and I told her that evidently then , she had the photographers she needed , and that I was leaving , which I did.
My question is as such , on a verbal agreement , of course the Bride can sue me for over the $ 250 dollar fee , which was not paid to me , but can a judge find in a verbal agreement , if I had no gross happenings such as me showing up later than the wedding started , and since I had no verbal arguments or heated discussions , and showed up when I was told, generally speaking , would a judge find in thier favor FOR OVER THE $ 250 dollar verbal agreement ? That is to say , with nothing in writing , generally speaking , would a judge find me to pay them over the fee I charged , and didnt collect ? I would find it pretty ridiculous if the verbal agreement was for $ 250, which was not paid to me ; then why would a judge find for over that amount in favor of the bride ? I know this is a pretty general question , but what do you think ?
Thank you , MFlower

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She won't be able to (successfully) sue you for the return of money that she didn't pay out. Why aren't YOU contemplating suing HER?

tejasherbie

I am giving thought to that , but am more concerned with my liability in this matter . I appreciate your response and thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">