• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ldianne4

Arizona. Do I have a case? In August, 2014, my friend Diane told me she would be retiring from her position as manager /owner of the Sierra Vista Farmers Market in November 2015, and asked me if I wanted to take over. Yes! was my immediate answer as this was my dream. She said to contact her in March or April so we could start making plans. When I contacted her In March, she said she wasn't sure she was ready to give up the market. I reminded her that 8 months ago we had made a deal, and she said okay, but instead of November she said I could take over in January 2016. I've been training under her for minimum pay since April.

Now that it's the middle of September, she just emailed me and said she wasn't going to give me the market. I'm devastated.

Although I could go on, I wanted to know what my rights are in this matter.

Laura

Just Blue

Arizona. Do I have a case? In August, 2014, my friend Diane told me she would be retiring from her position as manager /owner of the Sierra Vista Farmers Market in November 2015, and asked me if I wanted to take over. Yes! was my immediate answer as this was my dream. She said to contact her in March or April so we could start making plans. When I contacted her In March, she said she wasn't sure she was ready to give up the market. I reminded her that 8 months ago we had made a deal, and she said okay, but instead of November she said I could take over in January 2016. I've been training under her for minimum pay since April.

Now that it's the middle of September, she just emailed me and said she wasn't going to give me the market. I'm devastated.

Although I could go on, I wanted to know what my rights are in this matter.

Laura
Do you have a written contract?

Silverplum

What's the benefit to Diane if she gives you the job? Do you also expect to receive the actual inventory and store and shelves and what-all?

quincy

Arizona. Do I have a case? In August, 2014, my friend D. told me she would be retiring from her position as manager /owner of the S. V. F. Market in November 2015, and asked me if I wanted to take over. Yes! was my immediate answer as this was my dream. She said to contact her in March or April so we could start making plans. When I contacted her In March, she said she wasn't sure she was ready to give up the market. I reminded her that 8 months ago we had made a deal, and she said okay, but instead of November she said I could take over in January 2016. I've been training under her for minimum pay since April.

Although I could go on, I wanted to know what my rights are in this matter. ...
There are far too many necessary facts missing from your post to determine if you have any rights. I doubt very strongly, however, that your friend is in a position upon retirement to just "give" you the market.

Does your friend D. own the market and the property upon which it sits, or is she leasing the space? Did your friend D. intend in the "verbal contract" for you to take over as manager of the market while she retained ownership of the market? Many other questions remain ... :)

As a note, real estate contracts must be in writing to be enforceable - but I am not at all sure that what you are talking about is the sale of real estate.

Because I am not sure that any of us will be able to sort out all of the facts of your situation adequately in a forum setting, you might want to sit down with an attorney in your area who can dig a bit deeper than we can here

Finally, Ldianne4, if you used real names of people and places in your post, you should remove them by using the "edit post" feature at the bottom right of your original post. You can edit the way I edited my quote of your post. This is for your protection and the protection of your friend.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">